Job Fairs are an excellent place to network with potential employers! And they have all kinds of other benefits, too.
It could be your first opportunity to meet employers face to face and leave a lasting impression. You can allow them to learn more about you outside of just what is listed on your resume! It also gives you the chance to learn more about employers, what they do, and how they operate, so you can understand what you’re looking for in a future career.
Keep reading for some more tips for a successful Job Fair experience!
- Check the list of employers registered to attend the job fair, and the positions for which they are hiring
- Get to know the companies that interest you: check websites and job postings. The more you know, the more you will stand out
- Have a plan for which employers you want to target first
- Bring at least 20 copies of your resume, organized in a portfolio or briefcase.
- Dress appropriately for the job you want. Wear professional but comfortable shoes.
- Be assertive and confident. Introduce yourself to recruiters with a positive attitude!
- Prepare a 30 second “sales pitch” to sell your most relevant skills and qualities to an employer (Learn more about writing your elevator pitch HERE)
- Be prepared for commonly asked interview/screening questions
Show You're Interested
- Make yourself stand out with smart, relevant questions
- Ask for information you can’t easily find somewhere else. For example:
- What particular skills do you value most?
- What kind of person are you seeking for this position?
- What has been your experience working for this company?
- What is the company culture like?
- How do you define a successful employee?
- Collect business cards from the employers you meet
- Make quick notes after the face-to-face meeting so you remember who you met and how each meeting went
- Send e-mails/phone calls to employers you spoke with to re-iterate your interest in the company. Be sure to include bits of information you learned from your conversation to demonstrate your interest
If you’re at an MSC Job Fair, stop by our table and pick up a list of the free services we offer that could help you find your next job! Print your resumes and do employer research for free at our Resource Centre.